About me...

Novice sewer, novice surfer, novice traveller...



Tuesday 10 May 2011

gone surfing

I try to go surfing with my friend Banksy as often as I can, usually on a Sunday (it's the only day off we share) if we both have nothing on.  Well this week Sunday was totally out of the question, we're both florists and Mothers day is our biggest event of the year.

We arranged to go yesterday instead, despite the maximum tempreture forcast for Geelong being a mere 15C (eep),  Much to my delight, this is what I woke to.....


Sunshine!!!!!!!!!  Maybe not such a fool hardy plan after all.

So i got my gear together.
And headed for the coast.

The Coastalwatch surf report had said the condition were going to be pretty much crap but that doesn't deter me (I won't judge the ocean for being lumpy if it won't judge me), the sun was shining and I had hope that the experts were wrong.

Aww, doesn't it look delightful?
Hmm, deceptive, it was freezing!  There was an ice wind that could slice a girls ears off.  Banksy did comment that it wasn't so bad if you were in the sun and out of the wind, not much chance of that in the middle of the Southern Ocean.

I am a terrible whinger, after the initial wading out and that awful part when cold water first starts to run down from the back of your neck to the small of your back, and apart from when your head goes under for the first time and the cold feels like a vice on your skull, it wasn't that bad.  It's not so cold that we've had to bust out the booties yet, poor Banksy has a long winter ahead in 10C water without her number 1 surfing pal.



I'll miss you too, Banksy.

No comments:

Post a Comment