About me...

Novice sewer, novice surfer, novice traveller...



Tuesday 3 May 2011

Well...this is it

I’ve signed up.  I’ve joined the club of those who have something to say, to show, to share.  I have to say I am apprehensive.  What if I don’t have anything interesting to say?  What if no one reads it?  Apart from my sister of course, and I’m sure Mum will too, but I might have to show her how first (he he, sorry Mum).
I guess my apprehension comes from not being especially good at anything, I’m more of a dabbler.  I read amazing blogs, written by people with so much knowledge and skill and insight.  I don’t count myself as one of those people; don’t expect to learn anything here.
Even so, I have recently found myself longing to be part of the conversation, to say what I have to say and have it heard.
To say something specific, actually.  This blog will document the construction of my sewing opus….

….The One-Inch-Hexie-Paper-Pieced-Skull-Quilt!!!!! (Gratuitous exclamation points)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


 
There are a couple of reasons for me blogging about this quilt.
1.  I’ve already spent a fair bit of time designing this quilt.  It combines many of my great loves: skulls, beautiful fabrics (and the collecting of them), hand sewing and the color pink.  I long for its completion and for the day it will grace my bed.  It will be the manchester embodiment of who I am at this time, at this point of my life.
2.  I’m taking it on the road.  And the plane.  And the train, the bus, the boat.  It’s coming with me on my trip of a lifetime to America.  I’m just weeks away from jetting off to sunny California an apparently I’ll need something to do when I’m on varying forms of public transport (fellow sewers have assured me of the importance of having a sewing project to keep me sustained).

So here I go, I hope you millions out there enjoy it.

Al.

1 comment:

  1. How exciting! I think it's a great idea to take it along with you, then when it is all finished and on your bed, it will remind you of your amazing trip. Can't wait to see pics as you go along.

    Love Megs x

    ReplyDelete